Sunday, June 17, 2007

ATT-IT-UDE

Black women and the notorious at-ti-tude

Sometimes a defensive mechanism

And I'll admit sometimes we're just plain rude

But why wouldn't we be angry

For those who don't understand

In a society where

the downside to White is Black

and woman is the downside to man

Questioned at every endeavor, forced to decipher and ask

Am I being discriminated against because I am a woman

Or because I am Black?

Is my confusion common to every woman

Or do they think that I am easy because of rap?

And I happen to be the color that MY OWN brothers utter

Foul words against for the whole world to hear

Excused as mere talk or storytelling

That's rebelling exclusively against the gold diggers, hoes and those who

Push and shove, trying to be on the receiving end of that groupie love

But from a distance

The people outside of my own can't tell the difference

and so on countries all over the globe

Yellow man, red and white

Wonder what it would be like

to feel that jungle fever loving in the heat of the night

Those of us not casualties of whore-like behavior

Hold our heads despite the disrespect

Despite our own disfavor

Hey Baby! Lemme holla atchu!

Oh word? it's like that?

Yes, it's like that it should be very clear that any woman who respects herself

wouldn't answer to pssst... Bitch come 'ere!

Relax Black woman, why you looking so angry?

Ain't nobody trying to get in your pants

I'm just trying to ask if I could get a table dance

Let me grind on your backside

Let's get real low

Like the chick in the song, Ill watch you get it on the flo'

To repel such advances, I have to look mean

But my body betrays me, thick and curvy, easily seen

Not submissive enough, we were forced to be tough

A nice girl is mocked, and attacked and roughed up

They are called out their name, disrespected, neglected

A firm woman is challenged but definitely gets respected

I think I'll take being called a bitch for 400 Alex

Why am I so angry?

It's hard to discern

Everyday that I am Black is every day that I learn

And every day that I'm a woman is a day I take in

Sex for a black girl makes them into whores

And sex for a black boy makes them into men

Why are we so angry? I don't know, it's just in our blood

Since Noah and the flood

Since Egyptian days when God turned water into blood

Since the White man crawled up out the caves

Since Blacks were put into cages

Since my opinions were misconstrued as rage

Ever since I was put to the test

Ever since I was expected to settle for less

Ever since I realized that I was alone

We cannot rise if we put down our own

Why are we so angry

Cause it's hard on this side

Survival thickens the skin

If we want to survive

1 Comments:

Blogger THE MAN-FRIEND said...

I AM AWESTRUCK by this piece! Your words are so precise...I just read it twice and I'm still looking thru it. It's like looking at a thick fog but not realizing that you're in the middle of it.

It's a very strong poem...so keep being the strong Black woman that you are! AMAZING!!!

11:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home